Sport and Recreation
Contour’s sports and recreation team consists of specialists in the concept planning, detailed design and installation of sporting fields and infrastructure. From local playgrounds through to major sporting venues, Contour has the expertise to enhance each project.
Contour are recognised as a leading consultant in the design of sports facilities and associated infrastructure. This expertise extends to sports arena lighting, with Contour project managing two of the largest sports arena installations in Australia. We have achieved our reputation in the sports & recreation sector through adapting and tailoring successful design and planning knowledge gained within other industries. We are one of only a few consulting practices with “in house” sport and recreation design, planning, management consultancy, and community planning expertise.
Our approach is driven by our desire to have long-term partnerships with our clients and, as such, we take time to understand your needs, tailor our methods and deliver smarter solutions.
Sport and Recreation Examples:
Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex Soccer Facilities Construction Stage 1
Contour provided extensive concept planning, detailed design and construction phase services for this major 65 Hectare sports venue. Our Civil and Structural engineering services also included Project Management on behalf of Moreton Bay Regional Council. The project included numerous significant design factors including bulk earthworks, water harvesting and re-use, sewage pump station, roadways, parking areas, stormwater management and flooding.
Corbould Park Racecourse & Facilities, Caloundra, Qld
Contour have been the Engineers and Project Managers for $60M of new or modified infrastructure constructed at Corbould Park since 2007. This includes the following key infrastructure:
- 256 State-of-the-Art stables, including auxiliary infrastructure such as horse walkers, sand rolls, hose down bays, and water capture and recycling systems;
- Track lighting (1400+Lux) to the Turf and Synthetic Tracks;
- Synthetic Racing and Training Track and 2000m Asphalt Ambulance Track; and
- New and Upgraded Internal Roads, Car Parks, and Services.
We also reviewed development opportunities for vacant land and prepared a Master Plan to assist the Control Body assess the feasibility of nonracing related residential, commercial, and industrial opportunities.
Thoroughbred Synthetic Racetrack, Clifford Park, Toowoomba, Qld
Contour was engaged by Racing Queensland to provide Professional Engineering Services for the Design and Installation of the Clifford Park Synthetic Throughbred Racetrack and associated infrastructure in Toowoomba. The 18.3m wide “Equestrian Surfaces” track replaced the existing turf course proper, plus a dedicated sealed ambulance track and new car park. Services included project management, conceptual designs, detailed engineering design, and construction supervision.
Aquis Park Racecourse & Facilities, Gold Coast, Qld
Contour have previously undertaken extensive research and investigations, and prepared Master Planning options and cost estimates, relevant to upgrades and new infrastructure at Aquis Park. This resulted in significant Government funding being allocated to the Gold Coast project:
- New Turf Racing Track, Synthetic Racing, and Training Track;
- New Vehicular Tunnel removing requirement for crossings on Course Proper;
- New Ambulance Track;
- New Lighting Installation to enable Night Racing; and
- New Flooding and Stormwater Infrastructure.
Contour developed a detailed Town Planning submission and has received Material Change of Use approval for the lighting installation. We will be facilitating the Operational Works application process once the detailed design is completed.
Callaghan Park Racecourse & Facilities, Rockhampton, Qld
Contour were the Engineers and Project Managers for $8M of new or modified infrastructure constructed at Callaghan Park. This included the following key infrastructure:
- New Turf Racing Track and Sand Training Track;
- New Equine and Machinery Tunnel removing requirements for crossings on Course Proper; and
- New Asphalt Ambulance Track.
This facility is adjacent to the Fitzroy River and, although the project budget was not sufficient to flood proof the track and facilities, Contour’s design minimised the impact of flooding on racing and training infrastructure, and significantly enhanced the time required to return to racing following a flood event.
Ooralea Park & Facilities, Mackay, Qld
Contour were the Engineers and Project Managers for $10M of new or modified infrastructure constructed at Ooralea Park. This included the following key infrastructure:
- New Turf Racing Track;
- Upgrade to Sand Training Track;
- New Jockey and Raceday Official’s Facilities, Judges and Race Broadcasting Tower, and Steward Towers;
- New Horse Parade Ring; and
- New multi-purpose Function Facilities for raceday and non-raceday functions.
Mackay receives significant annual rainfall and had traditionally lost a large number of meetings due to severe weather events. Contour’s drainage design and growing medium selection took this into account and Mackay is now regarded as one of the best wet weather tracks in Australia.
Tote Racing Australia, Tasmania
Contour were responsible for Project Managing the design and installation of track lighting to Tote Racing Centre (TAS). This project was one of the largest sports arena installations in Australia with over 800 luminaries. Our role included the preparation of suitable design and construct tender documentation, facilitation of the tender process, facilitation of the engagement of the winning contractor, and supervision of the contract until practicable completion.
Infrastructure Planning – Racing Queensland
Contour undertook extensive investigations into 12 separate venues across Queensland and prepared detailed reports, conceptual designs and associated cost estimates for Racing Queensland Limited’s proposed $200M Industry Asset Infrastructure Improvement Scheme. The works encompassed both equine and greyhound racing infrastructure at existing venues and greenfield sites. Contour’s services also included attendance at public consultation sessions, assistance with preparation of Business Cases for Government, and facilitation of pre-lodgement meetings with local authorities. Our conceptual designs and cost estimates included, but were not limited to, the following infrastructure:
- Turf, Synthetic and Sand Racing & Training Tracks;
- Track Lighting for Racing and Training;
- Equine and Vehicular Tunnels under existing and proposed tracks;
- Stormwater Drainage, Capture and Reuse, and Flood Modelling;
- Stabling, Horse Stalls, Swabbing and Official Facilities, including Steward, Broadcast and Judging Towers; and
- Public Facilities, including Function Facilities, Grandstands, and Amenities.